Notable Dates in UC & UCP History
- Daniel Drake becomes the first person west of the Appalachian Mountains to earn a medical diploma. He was also the first faculty member of the first college of medicine west of the Appalachian Mountains.
- Daniel Drake obtains a charter for the Medical College of Ohio – the fore runner to the UC College of Medicine
- City of Cincinnati creates the University of Cincinnati
- Medical College of Ohio is absorbed into the University of Cincinnati
- UC College of Medicine faculty member George Rieveschl develops Diphenhydramine, which is widely known throughout the United States as Benadryl.
- UC College of Medicine faculty member Albert Sabin, MD, develops the first oral polio vaccine, which will be administered to over 20,000 people on April 24, 1960.
- First Emergency Medicine residency program in the country established at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- The faculty group practices at the UC College of Medicine begin to operate under common administration and become known as University of Cincinnati Medical Associates (UCMA).
- UCMA changes its name to University of Cincinnati Physicians (UCP).
- UCP acquires 75 acres of land in the northern suburbs of West Chester, OH, to begin development of the UC Health West Chester Campus (formerly University Pointe).
- UCP begins development on an 80,000 sq. ft. medical office building to house UCP clinical practices.
- UC Health Physicians Office – West Chester (formerly University Pointe Medical Office Building) opens.
- Imaging Center and Dialysis Center opens in nearby facilities on the UC Health West Chester Campus (formerly University Pointe).
- UC Health Surgical Hospital opens.
- Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati begins developing the West Chester Hospital (formerly the West Chester Medical Center) adjacent to the UC Health West Chester campus.
- In May, West Chester Hospital officially opens to the public.
- In August, UCP and University of Cincinnati Medical Center joined together to form UC Health.
- In September, UC Health launches to the public as collaboration between UCP, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, University of Cincinnati Medical Center and West Chester Hospital.